Knock On Wood
Photo: Tarte Cosmetics
One of the most luscious things about good beauty products is gorgeous, girly packaging. The way you feel about your vanity can change the way you start your day, because looking at things that make you happy moves the needle on the mood meter.
But, gorgeous doesn't always have to be lovely, or feminine at all for that matter. I've noticed a trend towards wood-based packaging, and for all the masculinity it proffers, it's still deliciously feel-good to look at.
It used to be chestnut before I discovered bleach. Our secret.
I made a special trip to Sephora to touch a few of these wooden wonders, and was a little sad to see many are in fact plastic with faux-wooden finishes. Nevertheless, they are a fine counterpart to crystal perfume flasks, gold-toned luxury lip bullets, and/or whatever you fancy.
Here are a few of my favorites.
Above, from top right to bottom left:
- tarte Gifted™ Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara in Black
- Esquire Grooming The Wax
- May Coop Raw Sauce
- tarte Maracuja C-Brighter™ Eye Treatment
- SEPHORA COLLECTION Mara Hoffman for Sephora Collection: Kaleidescape Natural Oil Balm
- Tay All Purpose Shea Butter for Skin and Hair
- Nasomatto Hindu Grass Extrait de Parfum
- Farmacy Honey Potion Renewing Antioxidant Hydration Mask
- tarte rainforest after dark colored clay eye & cheek palette
The Mara Hoffman product above (as well as the rest of the Mara Hoffman for Sephora products) are on mega sale at the moment and make fine gifts. I'm hoping the beautiful bois trend doesn't fade like a waxy lacquer stain in the sun, and luckily, it seems like it's here to stay.
"Knock on wood," you might hear me say, tapping my knuckles against my head. Its' solid birch up there. (It used to be chestnut before I discovered bleach. Our secret.)
Xx, Mom in Mascara